Author: Rebekah Colburn
•Sunday, September 13, 2009
“I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:11-13

As I confront the ramifications of losing my full-time job, I can relate to the character of Rebecca Bloomwood in the movie, Confessions of a Shopaholic. Let me clarify that I’ve never been a true shopaholic: I could never afford it and I don’t believe in accruing debt. But I did enjoy a good shopping spree now and then, even if everything was on clearance. But now I’m forced to stop and evaluate: “Do I need this?” When your budget dramatically shrinks, every purchase has to be thoughtfully analyzed.

When I see a beautiful pair of boots, I release a deep sigh of longing. How I would love to bring them home with me! Just as Rebecca confessed that when she shops, all is right with the world, then it isn’t, and she has to go shopping again—I think most of us can admit we’ve experienced the elation of therapeutic shopping. Now deprived of this pleasure, I must readjust my thinking and my expectations to meet the reality of my financial situation.

And you know what? I don’t need another pair of boots (as my daughter would tell you) and after the initial feeling of longing, I actually feel a certain amount of satisfaction walking away from them.

I have everything I need to live well. I have a loving family, a roof over my head, food to eat, and plenty of shoes. Above all, I have a relationship with the Creator. I am truly blessed.
|
This entry was posted on Sunday, September 13, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: