Author: Rebekah Colburn
•Friday, November 05, 2010
"Jesus replied, 'If anyone loves me, he will obey my teachings. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.'" John 14:23 NIV

Last week I wrote rather glibly about living every day as an act of worship. But the idea stayed with me. I began to ponder what it means to live a life of worship, and if I'm successfully living it. It's one of those concepts that sound so churchy we have difficulty connecting with it.

Jesus made it clear that if we say we love him, our lives should reflect it through obedience to his teachings. Our songs on Sunday morning are nice. Our prayers at Bible Study are nice, too. But God wants to see our love expressed to him in the everyday moments of obedience. There are many teachings of Christ that are difficult to emulate consistently: love your neighbor as yourself; love your enemies and pray for them; don't worry.

As I examine my own life, I am convicted of my selfishness, impatience, and anxious thoughts. Do I honor God with my life when I lay awake at night worrying? When I spend great amounts of time in prayer for my own life and loved ones and neglect the concerns and cares of the people around me? When my attitude does not reflect a calm and peaceful heart? The answer is obvious.

Lord, forgive me for how I fail you each day. Fill me with your Spirit and help my love for you to overflow into every area of my life. Help me to daily express love, patience, and trust, and to bring glory to you with my life.
|
This entry was posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: