Author: Rebekah Colburn
•Saturday, April 17, 2010
"Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins. Jesus called the disciples to him and said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.'" Mark 12:41-44 NLT

Tax time has me thinking about money. I'm humbled by how God has provided for me over and over again. Everything I have proves his mercy. Yet, I wonder if he's pleased with my money management. I've tried to be frugal with my spending. I've set money aside in Savings. But... Have I given enough?

I sigh as I confess that there's nothing like the thrill of shopping. If I gave more, there would be less to spend.

But do I need all the stuff I buy? How much money do I need in Savings? Really? Hard questions... But I wonder if what we want is to have Enough, or to have More Than Enough. It goes back to the security issue, as well as the excess of our culture. Because it really doesn't take much money to keep a modest shelter over our heads, reasonable quantities of healthy food on our plates, and a simple wardrobe in our closets. The rest is surplus.

We can all make excuses for not giving more. I mean, I'm a single mother struggling to get by on a very small income. But when I think of the poor widow who gave all she had (not 10 percent), my excuses sound lame.

I feel led to do something new: I'm praying for opportunities to give to meet genuine needs (above my tithe). I'm wary of wolves in sheep's clothing, but I'm confident God will guide me where to invest in his kingdom.
|
This entry was posted on Saturday, April 17, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: