Author: Rebekah Colburn
•Friday, December 11, 2009
“Thereafter, Hagar used another name to refer to the Lord, who had spoken to her. She said, ‘You are the God who sees me’” Genesis 16:13a NLT.

When Sarah decided to take fate into her own hands and produce an heir through unconventional means, she didn’t stop to consider how she might feel once the objective was accomplished. Hagar, her maidservant, became the vessel for the only heir. And as Hagar began to feel empowered by her new status, Sarah began to feel resentful.

Sarah began to treat Hagar so harshly that Hagar ran away into the desert. And there an angel of the Lord came to her to give her comfort, counsel and a promise. He told her return to her mistress, and to name her baby Ishmael, which means “the Lord hears,” for the Lord had heard her cry of distress. He also promised that she, like Sarah, would have many descendants.

Although Hagar was only a servant, and partially responsibility for her situation, God still treated her with compassion. Humbled by this kindness, Hagar says, “You are the God who sees me.”

When I feel lost in the desert of life, it comforts me to remember Hagar’s experience. No matter how small and insignificant I may feel, God still hears my cries of distress and sees my need. He will not abandon me to stumble through the wilderness alone.

What a beautiful thought. When I feel overwhelmed by circumstances and fears, I stop and pray with gratitude: “You are the God who sees me!”
|
This entry was posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: