Author: Rebekah Colburn
•Saturday, October 10, 2009
“But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing” James 1:4 (NLT).

“I need help with my computer,” my daughter announced, fully expecting the elliptical machine to come to an immediate stop. Instead I answered, “Let me finish, then I’ll come see what’s wrong.”

“But it won’t work!” she insisted. I smiled, answering, “I know dear, and that’s why I’m going to look at it for you. But I have to finish exercising first.”

I understand her impatience. Waiting is misery. Especially when we are so used to immediate gratification and all the big things are out of our control. But don’t ever pray that God will give you patience: there’s only one way to learn it. Yep, by waiting. God never sprinkles pixie dust.

Sometimes we are forced to wait years for the fulfillment of our hopes and dreams. Abraham had to wait for twenty-five years before his beloved son was born, out of whom God would make a great nation. Moses had to wait forty years before he could carry out the task of delivering his people from Pharaoh’s domination. I’m sure God had a good reason for making them wait, such as preparing their hearts to be obedient to his voice.

Ultimately, patience is waiting with a peaceful heart.

There’s a whole list of really important things that I simply can’t control in life. But I must daily remind myself that God knows my needs and desires, and will work everything out in the best way and at the best time. Patience is rooted in trusting in God.
|
This entry was posted on Saturday, October 10, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: